It's the simple two word phrase used by Jesus to call his disciples into a revolutionarily different way of life.
Two simple words that would forever change the direction and destiny of their lives and the lives of millions of others.
What does it mean to follow someone?
Here's a few different thoughts rolling around in my head today:
- "To follow someone is to abandon your path for the path of another."
- "To follow someone is to take an interest in what another person has to say and how they live."
- "To follow someone is to allow your way of life to be influenced by the way of life of another."
A quick internet search reveals that the top 10 most followed people on Twitter are:
- Katy Perry
- Justin Bieber
- Barack Obama
- Lady Gaga
- Taylor Swift
- Britney Spears
- Justin Timberlake
7 musicians...2 social media companies...and 1 political leader.
- How would "following" each of these "people" influence the way of life of their followers?
- How would "following" each of these "people" influence the way of thinking of their followers?
What about Jesus?
- How would following Jesus influence the thinking and way of life of His followers?
When Jesus says, "follow me" is he asking for His followers to like his status updates, favorite his vacation/travel pics, and retweet his 140 character quotable posts; or is He calling them to something much more life-altering?
This summer we're going to be looking at what it means to follow Jesus.
It will be enlightening.
It will be inspiring.
It will be challenging.
But most of all, I pray it will be a defining series for our church as we look to become a people who not only know about Jesus, but a people who truly follow Jesus regardless the cost, the challenges, or the consequences.